One Week 'Til Magic
Post by: Joshua Buergel and Grant Rodiek
Next Thursday, June 25th, a week from today, Hocus will go live on Kickstarter. We've been more or less ready for a few weeks now, with only a few tweaks to our Kickstarter page here and there per feedback.
We feel pretty good (well? gooder?) walking into things and we wanted to present our case once more so that in a week, you join us by backing our game, helping us prove early demand, and ultimately begin our path as a publisher of weird card games.
Hocus is a unique spin on a classic game. Our game is designed against the idea of "poker with spells." Fear not -- this game isn't poker. Far from it. Over 18 months, many of them just dreadful and filled with failure, we tested and ultimately crafted a game that is quite fun. We've written about the game extensively on this blog, but if you want to cut to the chase, you can watch our How to Play video here.
We've studied our peers and competitors in publishing for years now. We've asked a lot of questions and taken a lot of notes. Many of you potentially reading this have received DMs or emails from us with sometimes very stupid questions, but we've done our best to do the homework and mimic "what good looks like." We've backed over 100 Kickstarter projects each, and we both have sizable collections. We know what it's like to be customers and backers. We want to be top class there.
We believe this entails...
- Great presentation. We have a clean KS page, short 2 minute pitch video, a How to Play video, a full PNP and rules, an FAQ, and a manufacturing and business plan ready.
- Great price. $15 with free shipping in the US and $15 + Shipping for foreign territories is a really good offering. The best we can do, actually.
- Great art. We're both art junkies, but we also saw this as a way to stand out and have a great "window shopping" appeal. Hocus will be a beautiful game in your hands. We've hired the best we could to make it so, and our thumb drive on BGG seems to confirm this.
- Great game. I mentioned this above, but we think we have a really good game. This is backed by local testing, UnPub/Protospiel appearances, and extensive blind testing and PNP testing.
- Thorough promotion. We'll have a series of previews, video and print, written and radio interviews, and more. We're also paying for ads. Basically, we're doing the full court press to get the word out.
- Be responsive. You guys demanded a two piece box and we figured out a way to move to that. If other issues arise, again, we'll be responsive. We want to be great publishers with great customers.
Where you come in?
If you've followed Hocus, tested Hocus, are interested in Hocus, or even just want us to succeed, please join us on day 1. Whether it's a token pledge of $1 or $5, or a full pledge of $15 plus shipping (free for domestic backers), your help, especially early, is invaluable to us.
We don't expect to become millionaires, or even profitable as a business yet. We're trying to take the long outlook here. We hope to release 1 Hyperbole game every year, each with high quality development and fantastic art. We're trying to take the long term view here and build a nice little side business. If you can help us prove our viability, we can hopefully enter distribution and become a legitimate entity.
We've put forth our best effort and think you'll have a great time with $15. Next week, on Thursday, we'd love your help.
If you want to know when the project goes live, sign up for our newsletter. It's once a month only, promise!
Thanks, and we'll see you next week.