Hyperbole [hahy-pur–buh-lee]: obvious and intentional exaggeration
I chose Hyperbole as my moniker because my enthusiasm for games tends towards the extreme. I fail to dip into things with moderation and my efforts in design are no different. I love them and I go all in.
I’ve been a Producer with Maxis for over a decade and a hobby tabletop designer since 2010. I love making games more than playing them! It is the combination of refinement through user testing, imaginative art and graphic design, clever problem solving, and a desire to entertain and tell a story that excites me.
We’ve made a few games!
Hocus, is available now as the first Hyperbole Games title. It is a co-design with Joshua Buergel. An incredibly successful pre-order drive was concluded on Kickstarter in July 2015. Hocus is a finalist for the 2016 Mensa Mind Games competition.
Join our newsletter and follow our blog to learn about new titles in development.
What can you expect from Hyperbole Games? We answered this in a blog post! Here are the core values for our small studio.
- Hyperbole Games is a designer driven studio. We will publish games that exist because we had to make them. We will design games that we want to create and play because they will be a blast.
- Our games are distinctly beautiful. We will work with our favorite artists to craft distinctive components to bring our games alive.
- We publish games that we can do best ourselves. We will still seek publishing partners for designs that need them. If it has our label, though, it’s because it is a game we needed to do in house. This means our games will probably be a little weird, more niche, and more at home with small print runs.
- Our games are developed extensively. This is important, especially as we live in an age where barriers to entry are being removed and it’s sometimes far too easy to release a game out prematurely.
- We strive to have wonderful relationships with our customers. Manufacturing glitches happen – we want to replace your parts, no questions asked. If you have a rules question, we’ll be there. We want to end every interaction with a happier customer.
- We will always make things more metal.
For customer service or any other needs, contact me.
I’ve been interviewed a few times:
- Interview with The Cardboard Republic
- I conducted a two part video interview with Jessica Nida: Part 1 and Part 2.
- Interview with Token Meeple.
- Interview with Go Forth and Game
- Interview with Bellwether Games
- Appearance on Building the Game Podcast
- Appearance on The State of Games Podcast
- First Appearance on Funding the Dream Podcast and Second Appearance
- Appearance on Game On Podcast
- Appearance on On Board Games Podcast
- Appearance on the Happy Mitten Podcast
- I participated in a designer’s panel at Gen Con with Building the Game Podcast
- I joined the Something from Nothing panel to discuss game design.
- I appeared on Spooning Meeples to play Libertalia and discuss design.
- I also taught a class on Skillshare for new game designers.
- I make the briefest of cameos in this video of Tiffany Ralph interviewing Paul Dean.
- Appearance on the Who, What, Why Podcast.
- I moderated a panel on design and publishing at UnPub/Protospiel San Jose 2015.